Frontier has opened up and you guys were launching already!
It's not quite to Vidas landing yet.
Still a bunch of ice out if front on Frontier Landing so it probably
won't be until next week to launch big boats.
Boats were already coming down from Birchdale to try out in front of
Stays open for another 2.5 miles or so to the West! Water temp today
was 37 degrees!
Birchdale is clear! It's a few miles from Frontier Landing yet but more than likely by tomorrow it will be open. We'll make another run later tomorrow and give the update!
Time to grab the gear and get up here!
As you see, boats have been out at Franz Jevne but the 60ft ice chunk you have to cross to hit the open water will probably drop by tomorrow morning.
Boaters said the open water stops a little bit around the bend. Still froze up at Birchdale.
Huge chuck of ice floating by at Franz Jevne landing!
The river is open all the way past Indus and darn near knocking on Franz's back door. The rapids at Franz have opened more to the west and east! It won't be long now. Feast your eyes on the progress of mother nature!!I
Bet boats will be seen in the water in the next few days!! I know there's one boat sitting on the shoreline at Franz just waiting for the ice to recede just a touch more!! We made it as far as the big fork today and can say it's still iced over with bits of overflow on top still. Get ready to get your game face on!!
There has not been any progress being made west of Pelland, but Pelland has opened up a lot more and the shoreline ice is starting to crack and looked to be breaking free!!
The rapids at Franz are still the only open spot in the Birchdale area with open water , there is plenty of cracked ice but nothing open in front of the landing as of yet!!
In front of Royal Dutchman Resort!
Hello All! I took a cruise today up to Birchdale and enjoyed the sun! The only open water I saw was this little strip at Nelson Park. Heading back to the resort, I could only see a couple of clear little spots on the river that looked like it could open up any day but time will tell. See pictures below!
April 10th, 2020:
Despite the shelter in place and the accesses all being closed our dock took a beating from the ice. We made the decision to completely remove this dock and build a floating dock instead. Watch for pictures of the new dock.
This was shared on the Northern Light Region's Facebook Page:
"BREAKING NEWS: MORE ACCESS POINTS TO RAINY RIVER SET TO CLOSE
The Lake of the Woods County Board of Commissioners met this morning and held a teleconference call with the Koochiching County Commissioners who were meeting in their county.
During that discussion, the Koochiching County Board voted unanimously to CLOSE ALL THEIR COUNTY OWNED RAINY RIVER ACCESS POINTS UNTIL FUTHER NOTICE citing concerns about the traditionally large number of anglers coming into the area at a time when people are being encouraged to not travel and stay home in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Those accesses are Upper Sioux landing, Frontier landing, Nelson Park landing and Vidas landing.
The Lake of the Woods County Board, in consensus, supported the move by the Koochiching County Commissioners.
The Lake of the Woods County Board went on to CLOSE ALL "COUNTY CONTROLLED RIGHT OF WAY LANDINGS THAT PROVIDE ACCESS TO THE RAINY RIVER" UNTIL FUTHER NOTICE.
We'll post a full story on this later today."
This was posted on the Northern Light Region's Facebook Page:
The City of Baudette met in special session this afternoon and voted to CLOSE ALL RIVER ACCESSES within the City of Baudette. This would include the Timber Mill Park and Peace Park public accesses and will be in effect until further notice. This is being done to discourage anglers from large numbers of travelers into the area in the upcoming weeks as the Rainy River opens up. The council members took the action knowing that Koochiching County Commissioners are scheduled to meet with Lake of the Woods County Commissioners via teleconference Tuesday morning to discuss action on river access point east of Baudette. More on this meeting and the County Board meeting in this week's NLR. We'll post any decisions that come out of that County Board meeting tomorrow after the meeting."
The river is only open to the Manitou Rapids. We did see some open patches to west but the river hasn't changed much since Sunday.
Showing where the open water ends.
It has been a crazy week and we haven't made it east yet to check the river. We are shooting for Thursday or Saturday when we have more time during the day. We are suppose to get close to 40 degrees today.
One of our friends and her family enjoyed the day checking out the Manitou Rapids. I am not sure if it was wide open to the west of the rapids but I thought I would share this picture of them out enjoying the weather. Yesterday we saw 50 degrees and again today we are in the high 40s with the sun shining. We had some things to get done around the house but hope to check the river tomorrow.
I (Alyse) came back late last night from my work conference and from what we could tell the river hadn’t changed too much since Wednesday.
I (Alyse) am on my way to a work conference and was watching the river. I saw open water a few miles west of Loman. The river is open almost shore to shore where I could see it. They are calling for 1-3 inches of snow tonight and then 43 degrees on Saturday. We will most likely check the river again Sunday or early next week.